HARRISBURG – Fourteen fire and emergency medical services (EMS) organizations that serve the 134th Legislative District were awarded nearly $174,000 in funding support through the 2021-22 Pennsylvania Fire Company and Emergency Medical Service Grant Program, Rep. Ryan Mackenzie (R-Berks/Lehigh) announced today.
“We are grateful for the dedicated first responders in our area and the live-saving services they provide to our communities, both large and small,” said Mackenzie. “The grants help them stay in operation, and I am pleased these fire and EMS companies continue to apply for the state funds that are available to them every year through this grant program.”
Following is a list of local organizations that received grants and the amount of the awards:
• Bally Community Ambulance Association - $8,325.
• Community Fire Company of Virginville - $15,000.
• Fleetwood Volunteer Fire Company No. 1 - $15,000.
• Hereford Fire Company - $15,000.
• Topton AL Community Ambulance Service - $7,492.
• Topton Volunteer Fire Company - $12,918.
• Walnuttown Fire Company No. 1 - $14,874.
• Alburtis Fire Company - $15,000.
• Cetronia Ambulance Corps. Inc. - $8,325.
• Emmaus Borough Ambulance Corps. - $8,325.
• Emmaus Fire Department - $15,000.
• Lower Macungie Fire Department - $15,000.
• Macungie Ambulance Corps. - $8,325.
• Western Salisbury Volunteer Fire Company - $15,000.
Projects eligible for funding include construction or renovation of a fire or ambulance company facility, purchase or repair of equipment, training and education, recruitment and retention, or debt reduction. Funds may also be used to supplement operational expenses incurred by the lack of fundraising opportunities resulting from the pandemic.
The ongoing funding program was created by the General Assembly. All grants are generated from slot machine gaming proceeds, and not General Fund tax revenue. The program is administered by the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency with the application process handled through the Office of the State Fire Commissioner.
Representative Ryan Mackenzie
134th Legislative District
Pennsylvania House of Representatives
Media Contact: Andy Briggs